So, the company I have been assigned is
Sportech PLC. I had never heard of this
company before and I initially thought it was going to be a manufacturer of
sports goods, or something similar, until I saw ‘gambling’ in the company
spreadsheet description. I then thought
it might be a little x-rated and more exciting than some of the others until I
realised I know nothing about gambling, which may make it a little
daunting. My suspicions were confirmed
when the front page of their annual report read ‘A leader in pools and tote
betting.’ What are pools in the world of
gambling? What is tote betting?! Surely
nothing to do with swimming or handbags, based on my previous experience with these
words.
I decided I needed to take a step back before
jumping into the deep end of their annual report, so explored their website a
bit more. I found myself coming across
the same terms, along with others such as pari-mutuel, but found no real
explanations. I figured that people
looking at their site and financials would already know the meanings, so I took
to Google. It seems that a sweep is
another name for a betting pool, something that I have had experience with at
work, with Melbourne Cup only a few weeks ago.
Here, people pay a fixed price into a pool, which is then evenly divided
by the winners, and not influenced by odds.
On the contrary, however, true pool betting (par-mutuel) does involve
odds and variable, not fixed, prices.
Tote betting appears to be the same
thing. It is an abbreviated name for the
totalisator, a machine invented to assist in the large amount of calculations
involved. Different types of bets
available are win, place and trifecta, to name a few. Something that may have been handy to know a
few weeks ago for my work sweeps…
Anyhow, as mentioned earlier, there is a quite complex calculation
involved in the bets, which I can’t seem to grasp. So, even though I’ve looked into what the
terms mean, I’m still a little iffy on them.
Going back to the basics, Sportech is a
well-established and old company (going back over 100 years – a real strength
when it comes to trust and recognition). Put simply, they facilitate the viewing of and
betting on various sports and racing.
They are listed in the UK, with their headquarters being in London, but
operate in 30 countries, with an excess of 1,000 employees worldwide. There are three business divisions, being
Sportech Racing and Digital, Sportech Venues, and Football Pools. Below is a summary of each division:
Sportech
Racing and Digital

·
Supplies betting technology,
equipment, system and services, from agent-operated to self-service that
players can use on their own devices
·
Customers – race tracks,
casinos, off-track betting venues, online operators (worldwide)
·
Divisional performance
o
Revenue - £34.5m
o
EBITDA - £8.1m
·
Contribution to group revenue –
33%
Sportech
Venues

·
Operates venues (sports bars,
betting facilities etc) that provide betting on racing physically and through
telephone and internet
·
Customers – Connecticut,
California, the Netherlands
·
Divisional performance
o
Revenue - £32.5m
o
EBITDA - £3.2m
·
Contribution to group revenue –
31%
Football Pools

·
Facilitates pool betting –
mainly through subscriptions and online channels
·
Customers – mainly UK
·
Divisional performance
o
Revenue - £38.0m
o
EBITDA - £16.6m
·
Contribution to group revenue –
36%
Out of the three, Football Pools brings in
the most revenue but all of the divisions are still fairly equal. EBITDA seems to be a main concern but I’m not
entirely sure why just yet, I mean, wouldn’t you be more concerned about
earnings after tax and depreciation etc – income that is all yours to keep and
do what you want with? Although I know
what EBITDA is, there are plenty of terms and words in the rest of the report
that I have no idea on the meaning of, let alone the importance. I’m sure this will come with the rest of the
course, though, so moving on and not stressing about it.
Half of their EBITDA comes from the US, along
with 66% of their overall revenues.
Sportech process over $13 billion horse racing bets annually, and are
responsible for over 50% of all horse racing bets in the US. From this, it seems that their presence in
the US is critical to their success and something that they should focus on maintaining
or even improving. Looking at their annual
report, this is exactly what they intend on doing. Part of their strategy is to really drive the
expansion into the US, securing licences and locations in new and existing
areas. They are also focused on keeping
their technology as up to date as possible to ensure they stay at the forefront
of their industry. I think this is very
important as technology is increasing more than ever and if they hadn’t been
innovative and moved to platforms such as smart phones, they could have easily
fell behind. Due to all of these
expansions and investments, Sportech decided not to pay a dividend this year –
something I am familiar with happening.
It does make we wonder, would people be less likely to buy shares in a
company if they were not going to receive any dividends, or more likely because
growing the business would make their shares more valuable?

Technology is a strong part of their
strategy because it is one of their main channels of earning income, so it is
also a challenge they face. Like I
mentioned earlier, they invest heavily in upgrades but also subject their
systems to audits and have plans in case of disasters. This helps assure customers that their
systems are trustworthy, and also lessens the blow if unexpected and
unavoidable events occur. Another
challenge facing Sportech involves the regulations around their licences. They operate under quite a few of them around
the globe and, as such, consider them a major asset. It’s a little bit scary to think that any
loss of, or even accidental breach of, a licence could have a really adverse
effect on them. This could lose them a
lot of money through penalties and loss of trade, but could also land some of
their people in jail and damage their reputation. They seem to be mitigating it fairly well,
though, with a director appointed solely to make sure requirements are complied
with and any risky territories avoided. They
are also covered by insurance where possible and ensure staff are trained and
kept up to date with the various risks.
I did find it slightly difficult to find
any outside information on Sportech, but no news is good news, right? From the information I have found from
Sportech themselves, they are doing well (based on my limited abilities to
understand the words and numbers). As
the annual report in particular is a ‘marketing document’ I’m not sure that I
can trust it not to be biased or looking through rose tinted glasses. The fact that I couldn’t find much else tells
me that maybe I can trust it though, because any big scandal or failure would
surely have come up in my searches?
I have included links below to a few of the
sources I did find, which reference new contracts and takeovers, in line with
their view to expansion. This is also
consistent with their annual report which state that they have acquired other
companies and established joint ventures with some others.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cwZNGwXUe4
It definitely was a challenge to get to know Sportech and their annual report, and I hope I've made some sense here - any feedback would be very much appreciated!

Hi Pru, great blog, very easy to navigate, your company looks very interesting, you can gamble on almost anything these days, no wonder companies who cash in on this make a pretty good profit!! Good luck with your studies, cheers Sharon
ReplyDeleteHi Pru, loved your blog so well set out and very easy to read which makes it so much more interesting.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to reading more in the future
Cheers Morgan
HI Pru, that's a good read, nice one! Hey could you please explain to me why and how companies can just not pay dividends? I would have thought it was a requirement! But I can also see that they'd need revenue to take over other businesses. It would be like me saying to my land lord. "Hey I can't pay rent this week BUT i'll use that money to make more so I can defs pay rent in the future."
ReplyDeleteCheers
Christian